Chess for Educators Series
Register for courses in this series now through June 30, 2013!
The Chess for Educators Series is designed to encourage K-12 educators of all chess ability levels, from beginner to expert, to use the game of chess to promote student learning and improve academic success. The series begins with the basics of chess (rules, notation, special moves, tactics, and strategy), moves to examining the educational impact of chess and learning how to integrate chess into the K-12 curriculum, and culminates with opportunities to implement chess in your classroom and/or school.
The four courses in this series include:
Chess Basics for the Novice - EDU 534CQ (1 unit)
Chess for Educators - EDU 534CR (2 units)
Chess in the Curriculum - EDU 534CS (2 units)
Integrating Chess in the Curriculum - EDU 534CT (1 unit)
- Learn how to introduce chess into your classroom.
- Energize your classroom and improve student performance on standards and tests with the game of kings and queens.
- Just like in the movies the Knights of the South Bronx and Searching for Bobby Fischer, the game of chess speaks to students of today.
- Chess has the power to reach all students:
Boys and Girls
In this series you will:
- Chess has the power to improve student learning in the areas of math, English and language arts, social science, ESL/ELL, foreign language (including ASL), special and physical education.
See each course website page for required texts. Each course requires access to the Internet.
- Learn to play chess and have a clear understanding of the rules of chess
- Develop a fundamental understanding of chess tactics and strategy
- Examine the educational impact of chess
- Examine resources for using chess as an educational tool
- Explore a multitude of ways in which chess can be used in the curriculum
- Examine chess-based curriculum, lesson plans, and related state standards
- Learn how to integrate chess into the K-12 curriculum to increase student learning
- Introduce chess into your classroom
|COURSE TITLE||CLASS CODE||SERIES||UNITS
|Chess Basics for the Novice||534CQ||Chess for Educators Series||1.0
|Chess for Educators||534CR||Chess for Educators Series||2.0
|Chess in the Curriculum||534CS||Chess for Educators Series||2.0
|Integrating Chess in the Curriculum||534CT||Chess for Educators Series||1.0