Project READ - EDU 599
1.0 Semester Unit
Register on this website for this course through July 21st, 2013. Beginning on July 22nd, 2013 you may register for Project READ courses at http://pce.sandiego.edu/public/category/courseCategoryCertificateProfile.do?method=load&certificateId=25207&selectedProgramAreaId=16306&selectedProgramStreamId=
An independent study program for DoDEA and International School Educators
What is Project READ?
Project READ is an independent study program designed for busy educators who wish to remain on the "cutting edge" in their chosen disciplines. Project READ was developed by the University of San Diego Division of Continuing Education in conjunction with educators from the Department of Defense Education Activity and Overseas International Schools. In addition to the expanded categories of readings and book titles, the new online iteration of Project READ is intended to be paper-less. Registration and responses to books read may be completed online and via e-mail.
Please note if you are a DoDEA educator: DoDEA will only accept one Project READ course per semester, based on completion date (FALL: September-December; SPRING: January-May; SUMMER: June-August)
PLEASE READ: This program, Project READ, is designed specifically for DoDEA (Department of Defense) and international school educators.
- Read one book from the approved reading list. NOTE: Book titles that are not on this list will not be considered at this time (rev. 09/07).
- Process what you have read.
- Respond to three specific questions:
A. what were the most appealing or the most important ideas expressed by the author(s)?
B. what are the implications of the ideas in the book for you as an educator? Or, how will you implement the ideas with your students?
C. What ideas of the author(s), if any, would you challenge? Why?
Steps to Completion
- Review the book selections or other offerings from the listed categories.
- Select and order a book. The approved texts include internet addresses with hyperlinks where books can be reviewed and ordered. To offer a wider selection of options, USD no longer provides books for Project READ.
We recommend: Amazon Books, Barnes and Noble, Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. Additionally, the Stars and Stripes book store, as well as others, can order most titles.
- Register below.
- Upon receipt of registration and payment, the University will confirm enrollment via e-mail. Detailed instructions for completion of the assignment will be included along with the confirmation. Please allow 48 business hours to receive the automatic e-mailed instructions for this course. You may also obtain the instructions by clicking here.
- Your responses should be e-mailed to the address provided in the detailed instructions. (Those who opt to write out responses should also follow the detailed instructions.)
Grading and Transcripts
- Grading is based on content of responses and on writing quality. USD Readers will provide feedback and will return student papers.
- An official transcript will be forwarded to a participant approximately three weeks after the assignment has been reviewed.
- Project READ has been approved by DoDEA.
- USD Division of Continuing Education awards one semester unit of graduate level extension credit, provided all requirements have been completed successfully within the allotted time period of 9 months. The 9 month period begins at the time of registration.
All course withdrawal and tuition refund requests must be received in writing by the time listed below and sent in writing to:
USD Continuing Education-IS
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego CA 92110-2492
Project READ - EDU 599
For Independent Study classes, withdrawal and transfer requests must be in writing and received
within 4 days of registration. A $25 per course processing fee will be charged for tuition refunds.
Refunds and/or transfer requests will not be processed for any reason after this 4 day period.