Balanced Literacy in Action - EDU 506YH 1003 90
3.0 Semester Units
Learn how to create a classroom environment that supports effective literacy instruction for all learners. The components of balanced literacy, including the readers and writers workshop models, are explored. Creating effective mini-lessons, conducting guided reading groups, evaluating running records, and holding meaningful conferences to drive instruction will be an integral part of the course. Coursework will include reading and writing assessment, classroom management, the conditions of literacy, and an emphasis on reaching all learners, including struggling readers and English-language learners.
You will learn to:
- Explore formal and informal literacy assessment instruments
- Survey readers’ and writers’ workshop models
- Create engaging mini–lessons and workshops
- Discover how meaningful conferences drive instruction
THIS COURSE HAS BEEN CLOSED. PLEASE CHECK OTHER OFFERINGS IN THE PROFESSIONAL TEACHERS SERIES THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST TO YOU NOW, OR CHECK BACK FOR OUR SUMMER DATES FOR THIS COURSE---SUMMER COURSES WILL BEGIN IN MID-JUNE 2010.
This course is a scheduled online class led by a course facilitator. Taking an online course is convenient, fun, and allows you to structure your learning to your own learning style. Take the time you need to read, ponder, and compose responses. Dress as you like. Work any time, 24/7, at your convenience. No driving. No parking. Eating is optional. Online learning is a great way to add time to your life!
- Assignments are posted weekly and are normally due one week later
- You can go online when convenient during each week
- Regular interactions with the facilitator and other students is an integral part of the class
- You'll read articles both online and in the textbook, watch videos and have some basic responses to post on the discussion board each week.
- We anticipate you will spend roughly 3 hours per week on your course workand 15 hours on a Term Project.
- You can be away from home as long as you can log onto the Internet!
REQUIRED COURSE MATERIALS:
Materials to complete this course in the Professional Teachers Program Series consist of two items. The text book and the DVD are now available for purchase through The Teachers Network Store. BOTH items are required to complete EDU 506YA, 506YB, 506YC, 506YD, 506YE, 506YF, 506YG, 506YH, 506YI and 506YJ in this series. Click here to purchase. Only one copy of each is needed, so no need to order again if you are taking multiple courses from those listed above or have taken one of the courses previously from the aforementioned.
Comments from teachers that have taken courses from this series:
- "Thank you! I am more excited to start this year than I have been in a long time!!! I got some wonderful ideas that I am going to implement right away. I know they will help with the management and help my year get off to a great start!!! I learned a lot!!! "
- "I enjoyed working on the project throughout the class which helped in the end. This class has been great! Let me know what other classes you will be moderating."
- "Thanks so much for allowing me to correct my mistake! I did as you suggested and added the last item to the discussion board. I appreciate your help. I've learned a lot from this class and will be putting it to use in two weeks with a new bunch of students. Thanks again!"
- "This is a great course and "just what the doctor ordered." Thanks for all your comments and support. The readings and lessons are very useful and help me to reflect on a year when I received much praise but still took bumps to my self-esteem. I am really enjoying the interchange with all the members and feel it makes for a very enriching experience."
Hardware Requirements for your online training include:
- Reliable access to a computer with an Internet connection
AVOID REGISTRATION ERRORS. PLEASE READ:
- Be sure to order the required text from The Teachers Network Store, Professional Teachers Handbook. If you already have access to the text from another source or have purchased it previously for another course, you do not need to purchase this item again.
- Be sure to ALSO order the required DVD from Teachers Network, Professional Teachers Videos DVD. If you already have access to the DVD or have purchased it previously for another course, you do not need to purchase this item again.
- You must register for the REGULAR FEE at $320.00 to register for a course.
- If you are unsure, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org before placing your order.
- OnlineLearning.net's CTA Member discount does not apply.
HOW DO I RECEIVE MY COURSE INSTRUCTIONS?
After registering for courses, allow 48 business hours and then your instructions will be emailed to you. Please contact Cyndi Thomas-Evans at email@example.com, if you do not receive this email after the 48 business hours.
REFUND POLICY - Refund/withdrawal requests should be done by emailing Cynthia Thomas-Evans directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and will be accepted up to midnight Sunday, March 14, 2010. Tuition refunds will be less $25 processing fee if received by March 14 deadline. No refunds and/or transfers will be issued after midnight Sunday, March 14, 2010 deadline for any reason. (This refund policy supersedes the policy stated at the bottom of this page)
How did you hear about this course:
Balanced Literacy in Action - EDU 506YH 1003 90
March 10, 2010 - May 19, 2010
EDU 506YH 1003 90
For Scheduled (live) classes,
withdrawal and transfer requests should be done online.
A full refund will be credited to you if the class has not started.
After a class has begun, each request will be handled on an individual basis.
Refunds and/or transfer requests will not be processed for any reason after 30 days from the start of class.